9.24.2008

Wednesday on St. George



Today was another day in paradise.





I was particularly excited that one of two snowy owls on the island (possibly three) made an appearance by the road as we were headed back from south rookery.



This isn't a particularly great photo, but Ryan and I enjoyed watching Northern Fur Seals riding the waves.



I put this photo in here to show what impact we can have on others when we don't take care of our waste properly. It's important to always cut our packaging materials (and never dispose of bands that haven't been cut) since we never know where they might end up. In this case, the seal has become caught in a packing band and, unable to free itself, continues to grow as the band stays the same size--constricting tighter and tighter around its neck.


We alternated between beautiful, sunny day and moisture-bestowing squalls all day long.



I have never been somewhere where the saying "if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes" applies more. I'd probably amend that saying to St. George conditions, however: "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 seconds."

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed that band hasn't fallen off yet - that sucks for our hero! Don't know what I'm more impressed by - the plastic band's tensile strength or the seal's cardiovascular tenacity. Hopefully, that damn thing will fall off. I feel pretty damn good that I've been cutting those plastic drink holders up since I was a kid . . .

    ReplyDelete