1.05.2009

The 50th State

Following the footsteps of many Alaskans during the darkest winter months, I fled to Hawaii for a week in mid December. Unlike many Alaskans, I'd never been. But I had this free ticket to use for giving up a seat on an Alaska Airlines flight last spring (a now defunct policy). Everyone told me to go to Kaua'i--for its lack of development--so I did.

Photobucket

The morning I left, I looked out my front window and decided that it might be nice to have the change for a week. Following are a handful of images from the trip (all of which were shot with the single 50mm lens that I carried this time). I spent the majority of the time hiking and little time on the beach. The highlight of the trip was spending 3 days hiking (and slogging through portions of a rain-soaked trail) the Na Pali Coast to Kalalau Valley.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you go to Kaua'i I'd recommend (in addition to hiking the coast) that you go to the bakery in the town of Kilauea and soak up some good atmosphere and eats.

Photobucket
After spending a week in a t-shirt and shorts (hiking despite the drench of sweat and red mud) I was greeted by a rush of cold at the Anchorage airport and spent the first day back responding with enthusiasm to my surroundings...grateful for the trip, but thankful to be done with the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment