1.14.2009

Concert for a Free Tibet

Photobucket

Last weekend, I was fortunate to get the opportunity to help out with the Free Tibet concert at the PAC in downtown Anchorage. Paola Pivi and Karma Lama put together this free concert meant to inspire and educate folks in Alaska about the continuing Chinese occupation of Tibet. It ended up being quite a celebration of Tibetan culture and good music.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The following images are of Alaskan Yup'ik/Inuit band Pamyua, The Culture Brothers (featuring Karma Lama) and award winning Tibetan singer Yungchen Lhamo--as seen from my limited viewpoint backstage (although I could walk around to either side).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yungchen's voice carried me to Tibet, to the jeep ride my brother and I took across the Tibetan Plateau a couple years ago. The CD that our driver kept on repeat as that most astonishing landscape unfolded in front of our eyes...it must have been Yungchen...her voice the perfect soundtrack for that windswept landscape.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This last photo is of Paola and Karma. It was a good 12 hour day for me running around at the PAC--but I doubt Paola had taken much of a break in days. She was amazingly detail oriented up to the last minute before showtime...which I guess one has to be if they're going to organize such a successful event without incident. And they filled the Atwood Concert Hall!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment