4.05.2010

Newton Marshall in Sports Illustrated

CR
Last month I took a photo of Jamaican musher Newton Marshall at the Iditarod re-start up in Willow, Alaska that ended up running as a double page spread in the March 15th issue of Sports Illustrated. It was one of 3 photos chosen to run in the opening photo pages of the magazine.

When you shoot for a news wire service such as Reuters, you never really know where your photos end up. Last year they showed up in publications such as Times Online, as well as in newspapers in Europe and Asia -or Boston.com (see here).
As a photographer, it is exciting to know that your work is getting disseminated to such a wide audience!

This year, when I heard from a few people that my photo had run in SI, I was particularly thrilled as I remember leafing through the the magazine when I was in junior high (my brother used to subscribe), gazing in awe at the photos.

This is my biggest publish yet and I just wanted to share my excitement!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Natty!

    I looked at your photos on boston.com; and I found myself wondering how Reuters works. Do they buy rights to your photos and then sell them to other sources? When other news sources publish your photos, can you still post/publish them in other places? How does photography copyright work exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing!!! I'm so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's terrific News! Congratulations and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome Nathaniel! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is so so so so cool! SI is a huge magazine! Plus, it's also great that the Iditarod gets some mainstream publicity. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! This is awesome! I'm posting it to my Facebook. It's just like Laya :)

    ReplyDelete