12.28.2010

celebrating life

IMG_8274

Last summer I was asked to photograph the memorial service of a young gal that had apparently followed my blog. She had passed away the previous week and so a service was held to pay tribute to her joy-filled life and to say goodbye to her one last time. I usually wouldn't photograph something like this, but in this special circumstance, I was honored to be asked to document the celebration.

Originally, I didn't feel that a blog post about this occasion was necessary. But after sifting through these photographs, I figured that it would only be proper to give Brittni her own post here. If she could see this, I hope that she would admire the expressions displayed here of those that loved her just as she appreciated the expressions of love in the photographs of people that I make at weddings.

The beauty of the memorial service that late summer day was in the tangible expressions of love and joy (mixed, of course, with sorrow) present on everyones' faces. Brittni seemed to live a life filled with joy and, judging by the hundreds of mourners/celebrants that packed the church, the influence of that joy knew few boundaries. I have to admit that, despite not knowing her personally, I was moved by the great love she had for living and the inspiration it provided others. Here are a few of my favorites from that day. Note: a few of these were taken the previous evening at a family-only memorial that I was asked to photograph.

IMG_8355

IMG_8182

IMG_8167

IMG_8141

IMG_8498

IMG_8964

IMG_8521

IMG_8701

IMG_8596

IMG_8787

IMG_8866

IMG_8948

IMG_9080

IMG_9173

IMG_9233

IMG_9258

IMG_9267

IMG_9245

IMG_9278

IMG_8970

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photo tribute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this a lot Natty... I went to high school with her but was out of town during the service, I had no idea you shot it. Definitely tasteful.

    ReplyDelete